From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Britt Griswold
Sent: Thursday, 3 December 2015 1:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Technology and keeping up

Assuming you are going to have the same amount of storage space either concentrated or distributed, I would put money on the Centralized storage producing less CO2.  Efficiencies of scale would reduce
  most of the costs and materials and energy used.  Plus it only takes one person to decide they will buy their power from wind or solar generation (if they decide to do that...)

At worst I think the result would be neutral on the power consumption. But the measurement of existing A/C in the distributed environment vs. New A/C in the concentrated environment is probably important to getting a real answer. Would other positive factors in the centralized life cycle counteract or even exceed the new A/C capacity brought on line? And would the addition of small numbers of drive in a distributed environment have any effect on that A/C?

Britt

On 12/1/15 8:08 PM, Bruce Bartrug wrote:
> A good question, Will.  How much energy is required to power huge
> buildings filled with servers and storage devices, plus air
> conditioning to keep that equipment cool?  More important, what is the source of that power?
>
> bab
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Will Smith
>
>     Seeing this group is interested in conservation, has anyone researched the relative advantages
>     or disadvantages in terms of global warming of maintaining massive server installations (the
>     cloud) as opposed to storing data locally. This seems critical if we want to preserve native
>     species as much as possible.____

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
This E-Mail is intended only for the addressee. Its use is limited to that intended by the author at the time and it is not to be distributed without the author's consent. Unless otherwise stated, the State of Queensland accepts no liability for the contents of this E-Mail except where subsequently confirmed in writing. The opinions expressed in this E-Mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the State of Queensland. This E-Mail is confidential and may be subject to a claim of legal privilege. If you have received this E-Mail in error, please notify the author and delete this message immediately.