Regarding PayPal:
I take a lot of payments from PayPal and I always check with my bank to be sure there was a deposit before sending anything out. Luckily this art scam has not come to my door ( yet!)

Interesting variation of this scam was attempted at the school I share space with to teach drawing: these kind of scammers also like to target martial arts schools where the staff have limited English . The scam was foiled by the 13 year old son of the school owner: the scammer was using the name of a pop star he recognized! Good kid.

A-B-C... Always Be Cautious !