Hello Linda et al,

I have a 27 iMac from 2011.   This past Sunday I upgraded directly from MacOS 10.8.5 to El Capitan (MacOS 10.11.2) with only minor problems.   I now have installed copies of CS3 Suite, CS5, and CS6 all running successfully after the upgrade.  The only hitch I encountered was the need to install JavaForOSX from the Internet (I can’t remember if it was from Apple directly or the Java site. But it is considered a Java legacy program).  In any case, once I did this Java upgrade as well, my copies of  the CS3 Suite and my stand alone CS5 became fully functional.   (My copy of CS6 functioned perfectly well before that Java update).    I don’t have any Adobe Photoshop programs running under a subscription, rather they are all regular “old fashioned” licensed programs.

I  did have to upgrade the driver for my Epson Perfection V500 scanner, but El Capitan tells you when you have incompatible software and at least in the case of widely known brands, the updated drivers should be available on the respective manufacturer’s site(s).

One thing you’ll notice: the icons no longer allow you to colorize the title blocks (labels), rather you are left with smaller “colored dots” adjacent to the icon and its respective title.  I liked having “large” colored labels for organizing things visually that were present through MacOs 10.8.5.    I didn’t like the transformation from clear, large labels, to non-colorable labels with accompanied by their respective tiny colored dots.  I discovered this phenomenon when I did a previous upgrade to Mavricks (MacOS 10.9)  on my MacBook Pro laptop (vintage Fall 2008) a few months ago, but I got used to the change eventually.   On my larger screen iMac this change in visual appearance seems to be less of an issue.

So, basically, everything went smoothly on the upgrade on my iMac and I already had experimented with my old MacBook Pro laptop first.

Hope this helps and relieves your worries.

Mike Rothman