Everyone,

      At long last our curator position has been opened. The closing date is listed as December 25, but I have requested it be extended to December 31. If interested please don’t procrastinate. If you have been discussing it with others or students, please forward.

Position number 42001235, Biological Scientist IV

Posted in the State employment system at https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/peoplefirst

Direct link to posting: Apply for 42001235

Biological Scientist IV, position number 42001235, assigned to Entomology and headquartered in Gainesville/Alachua County.  The announcement will close Friday, December 25, 2015, and is open to all qualified candidates. If questions, please contact Dr. Paul Skelley at (352) 395-4678 or by e-mail to [log in to unmask]

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has an open position for a Ph.D. level curator at the Florida State Collection of Arthropods (FSCA). The arthropod taxonomic expertise of the candidate is open, but they will be assigned identification of some regulatory taxa. The groups available at the moment are Thysanoptera and non-insect arthropods (but not Acari).  Curation will focus on those groups, the wet collections, as well as the candidate’s area of expertise.

Equally important are other collection related administrative tasks, which may include working on collections improvement grants, liaison with the Florida Museum of Natural History and University of Florida as we build a larger partnership, managing the FSCA website, curation of wet collections and bulk samples,  maintaining acquisition records, handling 3-177 declarations, maintaining our CITES registration, managing varied databases,  etc.

The salary listed is in the mid to upper 40s, but the candidates qualifications may allow us to justify more.

GOOD LUCK to all.

    Paul

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul E. Skelley, Ph.D., C.P.M.

Entomology Section Administrator

Florida State Collection of Arthropods

Division of Plant Industry/Entomology

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Desk (352) 395-4678

Fax (352) 395-4614

Receptionist (352) 395-4700

The Doyle Conner Building

1911 SW 34th St

Gainesville, Florida 32608 USA

or

P.O.Box 147100

Gainesville, Florida 32614-7100, USA

www.FreshFromFlorida.com

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes).

Most written communications to or from state employees are public records obtainable

by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered

public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the

laws of the State of Florida.