Dear Julie,
I did a little searching and found  a possible research crumb for you to follow in the Art Institute of Chicago’s digital catalog Renoir Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, ed. Gloria Groom and Jill Shaw (Art Institute of Chicago, 2014).  If nothing else, perhaps the 1954 essay cited in the article will lead you to the source of the original quote.

“Bertha Honore Palmer and Potter Palmer” in Renoir Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, ed. Gloria Groom and Jill Shaw (Art Institute of Chicago, 2014), para 10.

https://publications.artic.edu/monet/reader/135446/section/138187/end

“Her impact on Chicago is such that years later, when a visitor remarked on the cost of buying all the Renoirs in the gallery, the president of the Art Institute could reply, “In Chicago we don’t buy Renoirs.  We inherit them from our grandmothers.” (22)

(22)  Daniel Catton Rich, “Chauncey McCormick:  Some Recollections,” Art Institute of Chicago Quarterly 48, 4 (Nov. 15, 1954), p. 66

****

Also, you’ll find a mention of this saying in Kirsten M. Jenson’s 2007 dissertation, The American Salon: The Art Gallery at the Chicago Interstate Industrial Exposition, 1873–1890, p 246  247.

Aline Saarinen once remarked that Chicagoans had a tendency to by-pass New York and look to Paris for their fashions, their food, and their art. (8)  Saarinens off-quoted remark is usually understood in the context of the prevailing taste of Chicagos collectors for Frence art, and the taste of their wives for Worth gowns.  It usually prefaces the equally oft-quoted statement that Chicagoans dont buy Renoirs, we inherit them from our grandmothers (9)  a remark variously trotted out to demonstrate Chicagos boastful and bourgeois nature, rather than its cosmopolitan perspective.

(8) Aline B. Saarinen, The Proud Possessors:  The Lives, Times, and Tastes of Some Adventurous American Art Collectors (New York:  Random House, 1958), 6.

(9) See, for example, Judith Barters introduction to American Arts at the Art Institute of Chicago:  From the Colonial Times to World War I (New York:  Hudson Hills Press, 1998), 13-43.

Here is a link to page 247:

https://books.google.com/books?id=BJmw6-GVhz0C&pg=PA247&lpg=PA247&dq=We+don't+get+our+art+in+Chicago,+we+inherit+it&source=bl&ots=1cSS2crrUL&sig=NlNWhkndhoeYFzYphNtjqbVTV7A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixk4eV_8zKAhUGKB4KHRKkD8IQ6AEIJTAB#v=onepage&q=We%20don't%20get%20our%20art%20in%20Chicago%2C%20we%20inherit%20it&f=false

Here is the link to the Proquest abstract on this dissertation:
http://search.proquest.com/docview/304888780

Best,
Nancy Picchi, a librarian on the loose