Interesting points. I may eventually try a professional printer to make a
series of limited edition signed prints but for now home printing on art
papers produces a nice enough job. I don't have large prints and this way I
don't need to keep inventory. Someone wants a print, I print it. And I
charge what I think is a reasonable amount, well more than $10 for an 8x10!

Thanks, Lore

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> My prints are usually larger, and sometimes much larger than a 17"
> printer. If I printed a large amount of smaller prints for sale, then I'd
> consider doing it myself, but I'm not totally convinced. There is a lot of
> time involved in color and equipment management. But for a small print,
> sometimes the professional printer can be more expensive per square inch.
> However, my professional printer certainly knows this, and works to keep
> the prices affordable. If I'm printing a series of 8x10s, she will find a
> way to reduce her production time, print several on a large sheet and then
> I cut them down to size, and thus pass the savings on to me. So in effect,
> I don't spend the time, and that in itself is a savings.
>
> When pricing, I do feel that museum quality pigmented prints are just
> higher to produce. I think the public became used to buying prints for very
> little money, and they still want an 8x10 for $10.  It's hard to cut costs,
> and perhaps we can do that by printing ourselves. But for me, I"m not to
> the place where I can devote time to printing.
>
> IMO,
> Linda
> _____________________
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
> P.O. Box 325
> Hereford, AZ 85615
> (520) 803-0538
> www.lindafeltner.com
>

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 6:24 AM, Lore Ruttan wrote:
>
> I'm hearing various opinions about the value of professional fine art
> prints vs self-printing with a good quality printer (with archival inks on
> archival paper). Aside from the consideration of color management that
> Bruce and others mentioned, do others feel the professional prints are that
> much superior and why?

> instructions at

*Lore Ruttan, *Ph.D.

Lore Ruttan Illustration <http://www.loreruttanillustration.com>