Absolutely, Deb, the scan is critical.

My printer got so fed up with trying to manipulate a mediocre scan from a local photo-graphics shop, that she and her husband bought a digital scan camera equipment.  Prior to that, she would spend several hours trying to balance the white of the artwork paper from one corner to the diagonal corner. The job shop would only replace one bulb at a time (they cost about $5K each), so the color temp of the bulbs were not balanced. Like I mentioned, she's a control freak when it comes to print perfection (bless her).
The scanning equipment costs about $45K (if memory serves) but it's a doozy. Her husband is an optical engineer, and does the scanning, she is the manipulator and printer.  For the same price of a scan as the old job shop, they provide brilliant scans.

So I totally agree, finding a scanner is equally important.

I know you'll miss that printer....
Cheers,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC