Wonderful article. Thank you for sharing.

Sharon Morgera
Newport, RI

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Aileen Conley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The Royal Collection, Windsor Castle, owns 95 original watercolors by Maria Sibylla Merian, which sometimes go on pubic display. The paintings on vellum were purchased in 1755 by George III, as Prince of Wales.

Several were included in a 2008 exhibit at the Queens Gallery, Buckingham Palace, in 2008: "Amazing Rare Things: The Art of Natural History in the Age of Discovery." The exhibition also included work by da Vinci, Wenceslaus Holler and others. The exhibition catalog: https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/amazingrarethings/

Rare book collections sometimes hold high-quality reproductions (facsimile reproductions?) of the complete "Insects of Surinam' folio and other work. (Perhaps the Bancroft Libraries, for those locally in the SFBA.)

 Thank you, Kathryn, for the link to the Atlantic article.

A. Conley

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:55:33 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Article of interest on Maria Sibylia Merian
To: [log in to unmask]

I saw a MSM print or two here in Chicago at Joel Oppenheimer Gallery on Michigan Avenue. It was lovely to see it close up with all the subtlety of color and line. Didn't make a mental note of who the engraver was, but I bet you could call the gallery and they could give you some information on their holdings of her work.

Kathy G