I have never seen this happen.

But here is what I would try...

Quit Photoshop and trash its prefs. You can move them to your desktop in the event you wish to restore them. All this does is essentially reset them.

Trash the prefs in your user library, not in the system library.

Restart your computer.

Give it another try. Don't have any other apps open.

Let me know if the above helps.

From my iPhone.