Hi Marla - I don't have a suggestion on printers, but I received advice from a printer repair shop re: clogs. I was told to use the power button when I turned the printer off (I'd had the printer on a power strip). If you use the power button, it cleans the print head before powering down.
Just thought I'd pass on those words of wisdom. I bought a new printer, followed the advice, and haven't had a clog since.
Good luck with your new printer!
Jennifer