All of the projects we have that require permits or reports are in specific areas.  So in SCAN (Symbiota) it is easy to draw a polygon and request all the records, records with associated images, and a species list.  You can also provide a checklist of all species collected by anyone, not just the project.  You can also create an online checklist, the plant people do this a lot.  We use “other catalog number field.

It probably would be good to have an accession (i.e, permit) module.  Right now we just use “other catalog number” for that purpose and like Arctos I do not believe Symbiota gives a list of just updated records.

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Derek Sikes
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Automating Collecting Reports

Peter,
In Arctos one can create 'Projects' that can tie together specimens and from which one can easily find all specimen records. For example:

http://arctos.database.museum/project/southeast-alaska-bioblitz
What remains difficult is flagging of changes between one download of the data and another. There is nothing built into Arctos to do this. I've never had an agency complain - they're happy to take the latest & greatest data as a whole, replacing their prior report, rather than demand only data that has changed between two reports.
Also, I think agencies should take on the burden of data reformatting to get our data into their system, if they so desire, rather than expect us to do this for them.
-Derek