Mike,

We freeze at -40C for 2 days all incoming specimens (eg all loan returns).
Usually not alcohol shipments but sometimes these too if the packaging is
suspect or it's coming in from a museum.

We do a visual inspection of the entire pinned collection every six months
(I get my entomology students to help with this as one of their first lab
sessions).

We also rely on cabinet and drawer seals.

Based on older collections we've received, it does seem dermestids prefer
larger specimens (Bombus, Sphingidae, etc) but I've seen damage to small
flies too. If one wanted to collect data to detect a pattern I'd focus on
dermestid damage which is easier to find than dermestids themselves. Might
make a great student project!

-Derek

--

Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 302,939 digitized arthropod records
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php