From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Ferro
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Museum Pests

Two things:

1. I know that a lot of museums have moved away from moth balls, PDB, and other chemicals used to keep the hounds at bay. A common strategy seems to be freezing drawers to kill any dermestids and then relying on mechanical defenses (cabinet and drawer seals) to keep dermestids out.

What are the formal or informal protocols you guys use in your museums? Refreeze all drawers every year? Spot check for damage every six months?

2. I get the sense that dermestids preferentially (only?) attack specimens over a certain size. Has anyone kept records of where dermestids are and aren't in their collection? Might they have a taxonomic bias as well as a size one? Basically, can we expect that a drawer full of ptillids is dermestid proof? Perhaps pooling records of where dermestids are (and aren't) in a collection would show a pattern.

Cheers,

Mike

--

Michael L. Ferro
Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection

Subject Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin; Insecta Mundi