Mike,

We freeze at -40C for 2 days all incoming specimens (eg all loan returns). Usually not alcohol shipments but sometimes these too if the packaging is suspect or it's coming in from a museum.

We do a visual inspection of the entire pinned collection every six months (I get my entomology students to help with this as one of their first lab sessions).

We also rely on cabinet and drawer seals.

Based on older collections we've received, it does seem dermestids prefer larger specimens (Bombus, Sphingidae, etc) but I've seen damage to small flies too. If one wanted to collect data to detect a pattern I'd focus on dermestid damage which is easier to find than dermestids themselves. Might make a great student project!

-Derek