Thank you, Britt.
It is quite challenging, and yes, in a system where the art is licensed by use, there will always be the possibility of people in this fairly well-connected community "sharing" previously paid for art. I like your idea of leasing to own eventually... though even that requires a budget, and if they can't secure funding, there's no way they'll ever be able to afford the full amount. However, if the project is staged over time, and the initial work is as well-received as we think it will be, perhaps there is more money out there that will appear when the work proves it's value.

In regards to the content - it's not ideas that are being illustrated, so much as observations. I don't believe there is anything proprietary at stake, and the art would be public access (and possible licensing) either way.

-Natalya