I am not sure if this is comforting, but the site does refer to "scientific collecting", not "fun" or "public" collecting. So kids or students are fine, just as long as they are not asked to do this as part of a formal course (i.e. education).



On Feb 19, 2016, at 7:57 PM, Frank T. Krell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I wonder what the rationale behind such a permitting policy is. Even students need such a permit and can apply for a student permit if they are required by an instructor to collect specimens.
“Any resident or nonresident student in a school of collegiate level, who is required by an instructor or graduate supervisor in wildlife research to collect specimens used in laboratory work or research.”
So what about students who *want* to collect insects for their own collection without being forced by a third party? I am thinking of most of us when we were young.
How are we supposed to connect kids to nature if collecting insects (or rocks in Colorado, for that purposes, or picking flowers, or mushrooms) is verboten? Why are we working so hard on killing all potential interest in nature in our kids by inventing so much red tape?
Dr Frank T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Commissioner, International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology 
Denver Museum of Nature & Science 
2001 Colorado Boulevard 
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA 
[log in to unmask] 
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244 
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John M Heraty
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 6:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: collecting permits in the U.S. or Canada
Dear all,
I am interested in collecting data on any agencies in the U.S. that collect a fee for issuing collecting permits for terrestrial insects that are not protected or endangered. If so, how much do they charge? If you can please send me a value and link, I will collect the data and report back to the group. 
California Department of Fish and Wildlife in now enforcing a scientific collecting permit ($420) for the collection of any terrestrial native insect (invertebrate), including those that are not protected (https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Scientific-Collecting). 
I am not interested in those agencies that issue permits but do not charge a fee (I know there are lots of those).
I would like to find out if there is anything similar to what CDFW is applying elsewhere.
Please respond to me individually.
Many thanks,
John Heraty
University of California 
Riverside, CA