I agree with Frank completely. What idiot thought this up and what rational is behind it?  Are they trying to discourage students or independent naturalists from engaging in studies that require them to collect specimens?  How long is the permit effective?  Does one have to include exactly how many of each species they intend to collect?  Can one collect serendipitous specimens that happen to also get swept into the net or immersed in the water pan traps?  Unfortunately my insects are too small to be determined prior to collecting them in the field and must be taken back to the lab and identified under a high resolution dissecting scope. Often times my collecting is exploratory in nature - I'm trying to determine just what does occur in various habits.  Heaven forbid, I may collect a specimen that's not on my list.
 Does this also include PCA's collecting insects on their customers properties?  Or PCO's collecting specimens from their clients to have them identified by a county entomologist?  You can see how ridiculous this can get.

This development is very disappointing and I hope saner minds will realize that this is not rationally enforceable for invertebrates.

Norman J. Smith, PhD.
Retired  (but still active) Entomologist.

Sent from my iPhone