On 2/23/16 12:21 PM, Gaimari, Stephen@CDFA wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
In any case, I have no idea what the fees here specifically go to.
The CDFW website explicitly states what the fees are for, as John Heraty noted earlier:
----
c) From the F&W site: [reason for new enforcement] "For the last 7 or so years, CDFW reviewed 1,200 to 1,500 SCPs or amendments/ year, while spending approximately $6 for every $1 of fee revenue"

d) From the F&W site: [Goal] FGC § 1002(i): fee adjustment to recover costs (not to exceed implementation costs). Fund permanent, dedicated staff.
----

The fees are to cover administrative costs - specifically, the salary of the guy issuing the permits. It's there in black and white. The permit fee is to cover the cost of issuing permits.

I will also point out that every single argument you've made in support of what CDFW is doing, and why, applies EXACTLY as well to plants as it does to invertebrates. And yet, the CDFW - even though they explicitly claim jurisdiction over scientific collecting of plants - has NOT implemented a permitting requirement for plants. If invertebrate permits are necessary, then how are plant permits any LESS necessary? In plain truth, the fact that they obviously don't NEED to issue plant permits is prima facie evidence that they don't NEED to issue invertebrate permits, either. Also, even if we accept the need for permits, the National Parks Service manages to issue collecting permits without charging fees, so why is it that they cannot follow this example?

I will also point out that if all CDFW wanted was data from invertebrate specimens collected in CA, I would happily send them all 91,000 CA records in our database, for free, upon request. But, oddly enough, they do not appear to actually have any interest in data - they have no archives, no stated repository, no online resources, nowhere people can deposit or retrieve scientific collecting data. Their so-called "data portal" contains no occurrence records or distribution maps of invertebrates at all, and their taxonomic resource interface is - to be polite - a complete joke. Just go to https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/taxaquery/Default.aspx and click on invertebrates - all they have is a checklist of ~7500 "species names" which, in alphabetical order, start off "A Bedbug (Hesperocimex coloradensis)" followed by "A Beetle (Coenonycha pygmaea)", "A Blue (Philotiella leona)", and so on. A vanishingly small number of these checklist entries indicate whether or not the species is native to California, and that is the extent of distribution data. Not only that, but some of this is baldfacedly wrong, like their entry for the Monarch, which they explicitly state is NOT native here:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/taxaquery/SpeciesDetail.aspx?taxonid=1227&STitle=Danaus+plexippus+plexippus&PTitle=Monarch

Our "National Butterfly", and they have no records, no photos, no literature, and don't even acknowledge that it's native in CA. This is not scientific, this is useless, or even WORSE than useless. If all the actual specimen data that researchers submit are going into the proverbial "round file", then what purpose do mandatory collecting reports serve? Your arguments about the utility of gathering data about invertebrates are fine, but they clearly do NOT apply to what the CDFW is doing, since they are clearly not using our data, let alone making it available to anyone after we submit it.

It is not the filing of paperwork or payment of fees per se that we are objecting to. It is that (1) we are being asked to file paperwork and pay fees for no purpose, and (2) a large measure of what we ARE being asked for are things we cannot provide (e.g., lists, in advance, of species names and numbers, etc.)

Sincerely,