For those who may not know and are interested, the University of Louisville's Lovell Insect Collection, founded 1936, which I curated from 1964 to 2004 was mostly transferred to the University of Kentucky Dept. of Entomology and merged with their insect collection.  A small portion remains in the Biology Dept., University of Louisville, KY 40292.  The approximate number of specimens transferred to the University of KY was 200,000, with strength in Hemiptera, (Homoptera), Culicidae and Lepidoptera.
Mike Sharkey is curator and Eric Chapman is Collection Manager ([log in to unmask]).

Cheers, Charlie

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Merrill Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Hojun,

The Western Washington University Insect Collection (WWUC), located in Bellingham, WA, has approximately 50,000 pinned specimens, some dating to the late 1800’s. Many are sorted and identified to species, but many others are sorted only to family or ordinal levels. To my knowledge, ours is the largest publicly-held insect collection within a 2 hour radius of Seattle. Most of our material is from the NW corner of Washington State.  We have recently acquired new cabinets, and have begun barcoding and digitizing our holdings. I’m the curator, and there is no collection manager; much of the curatorial work is done by undergraduates working under my advisement (as work-study students, for credit, or as volunteers).

Best wishes,
-Merrill

Merrill A. Peterson
Professor and Insect Collection Curator
Biology Department
Western Washington University
Bellingham, WA 98225

From: Hojun Song
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]"
Subject: Small insect collections and collections in minority-serving institutions

Dear all,

I am doing a quick survey about small insect collections in the U.S. Currently, there are two websites that I can extract this information (http://www.entsoc.org/resources/links/zooshttp://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/codens/codens-inst.html) but I do not think that most of the small insect collections are on it.

There is no formal definition of what small insect collections are. I'd say any insect collection other than major university collections or private museums with holdings that are used for taxonomic research can be considered small collections.

I am particularly interested in knowing whether such collections have collection managers. Some might have paid collection managers, and other might be totally based on volunteers. I am also interested in knowing whether any minority-serving institution in the U.S. has an insect collection.

The Entomological Collections Network and the Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity (SysEB) section of the Entomological Society of America are planning to sponsor a workshop to train entomological collections managers, and I am trying to see if I can secure funding to encourage participation of those people involved in small collections.

If you are reading this email and if you can immediately think of a collection that not many people know about, perhaps near where you live, I would like to know. I'd appreciate very much if you can provide this information to my email at [log in to unmask].

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best wishes,
Hojun Song
Past President
ESA SysEB
Hojun Song, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Entomology, Texas A&M University
Biological Control Facility, Room 118-119
College Station, TX 77843-2475

Office: 979-845-2481

Mailing Address:
Minnie Belle Heep Center, Room 412