Hello,

I appreciate all of the discussion about this issue and see the pros and cons.  One issue that I haven't seen discussed is the prospect of obtaining permits for college courses in entomology or biology courses at the primary and secondary education level that involve students making an insect collection.  In my experience, this activity has had enormous impact on students in promoting appreciation for and interest in insects, both as an advocation and professionally.  While my college could easily absorb the cost of obtaining a blanket permit  for an instructor teaching our insect course, I wonder if a $420 permit might discourage other institutions and especially pre-college teachers with limited or no funding.

Also the logistics of meeting the potential specifics requirements of such permits concerns me.  To be required to list the target species prior to collecting would be impractical and defeat the purpose of having students make a general collection.  Also, specifying the dates for collecting and resubmitting whenever plans change is impractical if there are 20+ students collecting insects outside of class time throughout a semester.

I appreciate the argument that insects are no less deserving of management that other wildlife whose taking requires permits.  I keep abreast of which species are rare or protected in my state and instruct my students to avoid them.  I also appreciate the bureaucratic hassle of obtaining permits for taking insects for research, pest control, etc.  And it is hard to imagine any practical means of enforcing such regulations.  Tiger beetles, a group with which I am familiar, include several rare and threatened species, some of which are listed at the state and federal level, and it is nearly impossible to protect them from collectors unless they occur in a National Park or Nature Preserve with an informed and alert staff.

My point is that if proposals evolve to advise or make recommendations to agencies regarding permits to collect insects, that the issue of general collecting by students of education institutions be considered.

Tom