John, all-


I’m coming a little late to the conversation but wanted to mention that Kansas has instituted a fee-based “Education, Exhibition, Collection, and Salvage Permit”. I haven’t researched it fully and as you might expect it is not entirely unambiguous. About nine years ago I enquired about the need for invertebrate collecting permits on state property and received a FAX back from the Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks (& now) Tourism indicating that permits were not necessary for non-listed species. However, it appears the statutes describing this permit go back at least to 1989, though its existence wasn’t brought to my attention until just a few years ago. It was only just this afternoon that I realized this permit is apparently necessary to collect *anywhere* in Kansas, not just state owned property.


The link to download the permit application appears to be broken (of course), but the generalized description is here: . The last I knew it was $12.50 per year, though it may have increased since then. I can send an old version of the permit to anyone interested in seeing it.


The gist: “Any person wishing to collect any wildlife, protected by law or rules and regulations of the Secretary of the Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, for scientific, educational, or exhibition purposes must obtain a Scientific, Educational, or Exhibition Permit unless wildlife is otherwise allowed to be collected or harvested under the provisions of a valid hunting, furharvester, or fishing license or other special permit or license.”


The catch: “wildlife, protected by law or rules and regulations of the Secretary…” At first I read this to mean that if you wanted to collect any state-listed or otherwise regulated species you needed the permit. However, after looking into it a little, it appears that it is illegal to take *any* wildlife *except* as provided by laws or rules and regulations, with this permit being the catch-all for anything not specifically covered elsewhere (like trout and deer and turkey). I guess the person in KSDWP&T I contacted nine years ago didn’t think that insects counted, though they certainly appear to. One of the few discussions of this permit I’ve found is on page 57 of this herpetological document:


I could offer conjecture as to the political implications and unintended consequences of this, but I won’t. Instead, I offer this gem of a statute in which the 2015 Kansas legislature unilaterally decided that the Feds did not have the authority to enforce the Endangered Species Act in regards to prairie chickens in Kansas:



Zachary H. Falin, Ph.D.

Collections Manager,


Division of Entomology,

KU Biodiversity Institute


From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John M Heraty
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 7:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: collecting permits in the U.S. or Canada



Dear all,


I am interested in collecting data on any agencies in the U.S. that collect a fee for issuing collecting permits for terrestrial insects that are not protected or endangered. If so, how much do they charge? If you can please send me a value and link, I will collect the data and report back to the group. 


California Department of Fish and Wildlife in now enforcing a scientific collecting permit ($420) for the collection of any terrestrial native insect (invertebrate), including those that are not protected ( 


I am not interested in those agencies that issue permits but do not charge a fee (I know there are lots of those).


I would like to find out if there is anything similar to what CDFW is applying elsewhere.


Please respond to me individually.


Many thanks,


John Heraty


University of California 

Riverside, CA