Dear 5 Bank Streeters,

I’m very pleased to inform you that My Ántonia will be on the syllabus of
the agrégation d’anglais in France for the next two years. (The agrégation
is a national competitive examination that is held once a year and is
designed to recruit high school teachers. In the humanities it is often an
implicit requirement if you want to get funding for a PhD as its high
selectivity is regarded as a good way to assess the student’s level in a
given subject. In English there are usually about 2000 candidates for 200
positions.)

French universities will probably hold a few symposia on My Ántonia next
year to help the candidates (and their teachers) know the novel better.

http://cache.media.education.gouv.fr/file/agregation_externe/54/7/p2017_agre
g_ext_lve_anglais_556547.pdf

Best regards to everyone,

Florent Dubois

PhD candidate

Université Paris Diderot-Paris VII (Université Sorbonne Paris Cité)