/Hi! I saw Carol Creech's post //about the TwitterStorm and wanted to
joi//n in, but I confess to being substantially Twitterilliterate. I
contacted Kapi Monoy//io//s, our Social Media Guru//(basically I said
HELP ME!!)//. A//nd, since I figured I wasn't the only one, we ended up
creating this "Handbook for the Twitterilliterate//". I just posted a
Tweet, so it can be done!! Jump in, the artwork on display is amazing!!/

*Pocket Handbook for the Twitterilliterate**
*
During the first week of March, the Twittersphere becomes an orgy of
science-related art as the Scientific American Symbiartic blogging team
(consisting of Glendon Mellow, Kalliopi Monoyios, and Katie McKissick)
lead the charge for their annual #sciart tweetstorm. To join the
Tweetstorm, just post an image (watermark it!) and include in your Tweet
#SciArt, and any other #keywords that apply (#botanical, #watercolor --
these will spread your Tweet to relevant conversations as well as the
Tweetstorm).

Some brave GNSI members took the opportunity to see what Twitter was all
about with varying degrees of satisfaction. If you're still scratching
your head about what all the Twitter fuss is about, this article is for you.

So what exactly is Twitter? Perhaps you have the impression that it's a
way for you to update everyone who cares (is that nobody?) about what
you had for breakfast, who just flipped you off in the parking lot, why
you desperately need a coffee, etc. If that's your impression, I don't
blame you for ignoring it! But maybe you've heard friends and colleagues
who appear slightly more "in-the-know" when it comes to social media wax
poetic about the power of Twitter. You trust these folks and are
intrigued, but good grief, is it just another instant messaging thingie?
A group texting tool? A Facebook wannabe with the weird constraint of
140 characters?

I like to think of Twitter as a personalized newsfeed. To use it
effectively you never even have to post, but it can link you into a
world of information that will (frankly) make your brain hurt... in a
good way. By carefully choosing who you follow - both people and
conversations - you can expand your perspective and become aware of a
much broader array of information than if you relied on the two or three
publications you likely go to on your own. Here is what I suggest:

1. Open a Twitter account.
2. Start following people. Not sure how to find them? Try these for
starters:

GNSI members on Twitter (created by the GNSI)
Science Artists on Twitter (created by the Symbiartic blogging team)

3. Follow conversations using hashtags that interest you. Simply search
for these on Twitter.com and every post that contains the particular
hashtag you entered will show up. From there, you can find more people
to follow, if you care to. You can just as easily follow no one and just
tune into conversations around hashtags. Relevant hashtags to start with
include:  #sciart, #scicomm, #bioart, #biology, #evolution, #botany,
#stem, #stemtosteam

Using these three simple steps, you'll find you get pinged around the
web to publications you like but never think to visit, you'll find
viewpoints different than your own that help you out of the echochamber
of your go-to news & opinion sites. If you are in search of like-minded
artists, you'll find them and be able to connect. If you're hoping to
get noticed by scientists whose research you'd ultimately like to be a
part of, you can find them, follow them and ideally interact with them.
Used intelligently, Twitter is a tool like no other. Get on it and get busy!
/
//thank you, Kapi!!

/
--