From: Linda Karell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM
Subject: [Wlamembers] WLA 2016 Awaits!
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Jeff Lynch <[log in to unmask]>, "Branch, Kirk" <[log in to unmask]>, Allison Wynhoff Olsen <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Lovely WLA Members,

Very shortly, once I'm sure ConfTool is up and running correctly with updated keywords, I'll be sending out a longer email with detailed information for submitting your proposals for the 2016 Western Literature Association Conference in Big Sky (September 21-24).  Remember that the deadline for all proposals is JUNE 1, 2016.

(Don't try to submit proposals quite yet, but do be thinking about your proposal.  Registration information will follow somewhat later in June, after proposals have been accepted, and will provide you with links to the hotel, discounted airfare information, shuttle information, and whatnot.)

If you're wavering about joining us at the conference, please see the website for the original CFP and a lengthier description of conference highlights: http://www.westernlit.org/wla-conference-2016/  (Bookmark the website for the quickest access to updated information.) Here's a quick rundown of a few of the many pleasures of WLA Big Sky 2016:

--Our opening event will be the screening of Winter in the Blood, followed by a discussion with directors Andrew and Alex Smith and actor Lily Gladstone.

--Our Distinguished Achievement Award Winner, Maxine Hong Kingston will receive her award and present a talk.

--We'll have a range of panels and presentations on Native American literature(s) and writers as part of the conference's cross-over WLA and English Education events.

--There will also be featured critical and creative writing plenaries to suit the many interests of our members.  Some of the highlighted writers and critics include Rick Bass, Zach Bean, Glen Chamberlain, Frances McCue, Mandy Smoker Broaddus, and Michael Cobb.

--A guided day-trip to Yellowstone Park on Saturday is in the offing.

--Alan Weltzien will lead the hardy and nature-hungry amongst you on a hike on Saturday.

--We're working on something new and different--and more welcoming and affordable for all participants--for what was known as the Past President's Lunch. Details to come.

--The Spa at Big Sky tells me they will be open during our conference dates, and I am thinking as well of having my masseuse from Bozeman take appointments on Friday and Saturday (no jokes here--I have to keep myself together somehow!)  She'll provide in-room massages, and she is truly excellent and considerably less expensive than the featured spa.  (Email me if you think you might be interested so I know if I should pursue this.)

More later,

Linda K. Karell
Associate Professor
Department of English