Note the very, very critical phrases here: "Here is what we are able to
say at this point."  This translates into 'we are not able to give you
critical information that we have.'
"In FY 2017, BIO plans to assess the effectiveness of current DBI
programs towards the evolving needs of the biology community,..."
translates to: 'But, the programs we feel are actually important will
continue to give out funds during this period.'

"The more data we can collect on the impact of collections on education
and research, including other societal benefits, the stronger the
argument we can make for continued support of CSBR and other collections
activities."
translates into 'We are on your side as much as we can be, but we need
ammo to be able to save this program.'

I wonder if a Freedom of Information Request on e-mails leading up to
this decision would be instructive?

Mike

On 3/18/2016 10:54 AM, Shockley, Floyd wrote:

> Heres a little more directly from the horses mouth".
>
> Floyd

> Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
>
> Collections Manager (Acting)
>
> Department of Entomology