From: Beaman, Reed S [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 12:44 PM
To: Shockley, Floyd <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: CSBR hiatus

Floyd - Here is what we are able to say at this point.  Feel free to distribute to your members.

As part of our current assessment, we are evaluating the value of the program, and seek community input.  Here's some information and a method for providing comment directly to us:

The Collections in Support of Biological Research (CSBR) Program has been placed on hiatus for Fiscal Year 2017 by the NSF Directorate for Biological Sciences.  During this time the program has been asked to evaluate its value to the research and education community.  As part of this evaluation we welcome feedback from any stakeholders, including individuals, institutions, and professional societies.  Please register comments through the CSBR email alias ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).  Also, here is the blog post: https://dbinsfblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/csbr-fy17/ to which you can respond.  You may also want to follow the BIO Directorate blog (https://nsfbiobuzz.wordpress.com/)

Please be assured that during the evaluation period NSF's commitments to all active CSBR awards will be honored.

We appreciate any help you can provide in passing this information along. The more data we can collect on the impact of collections on education and research, including other societal benefits, the stronger the argument we can make for continued support of CSBR and other collections activities. The plan is to engage with umbrella organizations, such as yours, as we assess the impacts of this program.

In addition, it is worth pointing you to the NSF's FY17 budget request.  There's one paragraph that may help explain -- that I've quoted -- but you may to take a closer look through the full document:

http://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2017/pdf/17_fy2017.pdf

"In FY 2017, BIO plans to assess the effectiveness of current DBI programs towards the evolving needs of the biology community, which have become more complex, diverse, and centered on data storage, access, and analysis. Evaluating current programs, assessing where investments can make a difference in the long term resource needs, and developing a robust STEM pipeline will be a priority. BIO will use FY 2017 to reexamine the goals and objectives of many of DBI's longstanding research resource and human resource programs. Emphasis will be placed on evaluation, impact, and scalability, to gauge where support from BIO makes a difference and can be leveraged. Several programs will be put on a biennial competition schedule during their assessment and evaluation.
BIO expects this assessment to be complete in time to inform the FY 2018 budget."

As we receive comments, the ones that constructively address the evolving needs for the bio research community will be the most valuable.

Best, -Reed

-----
Reed Beaman, Program Director
Division of Biological Infrastructure