John,

note that the subtitle of the new textbook just mentioned by Torsten

The microeconomics of complex economies (2015)

is:

“Evolutionary, Institutional, Neoclassical, and Complexity Perspectives",

which indicates its paradigm-comparing and real-world program.
We have used the stuff of the first seven chapters in second-semester micro
for around 15 years.

Another recent review (besides that in the JEI) of it has been just put
online by the Journal of Economic Methodology:
Economic pluralism for the lecture hall
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1350178X.2016.1143187?ai=72cl&u
i=7ec9z&af=H>
Manuel Scholz-Wäckerle
Pages: 1-6 | DOI: 10.1080/1350178X.2016.1143187.

I have just finished myself a detailed review of mainstream textbooks
(Varian, Pindyck/Rubinfeld …) for an edited volume. You may access this
here:

https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/70471/1/MPRA_paper_70471.pdf.

Finally, the critical fellow-books are:

Keen

Goodwin et al.

Dollars & Sense

Himmelweit et al.

Bowles

Bowles/Foley (on the santa fé site, to appear at Princeton u.p.)

Dorman.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Wolfram.

Dr Wolfram Elsner
Professor of Economics, University of Bremen, Business Studies & Economics
iino – Institute of Institutional & Innovation Economics,
http://elsner.iino.uni-bremen.de/de/.

*  Adjunct Prof, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Doctoral Faculty,
Economics Dept.
*  Academic Member, Enterpreneurship and Innovation Center, School of
Economics, Jilin University, Changchun, PR China
*  Managing Editor, FSE—Forum for Social Economics, Taylor&Francis.

RePEc:  http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pel202.htm.

*  NEW TEXTBOOK:  MICROECONOMICS of Complex Economies, San Diego, New York,
Oxford, Amsterdam:  Elsevier/Academic Press, 2015, 566pp. with  Torsten
Heinrich and Henning Schwardt.

---