Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 195 April 11, 2016 web pdf Heterodox Economics Directory

Before turning to more important stuff, I wanted to remind you that the completely new, 6th edition of the Heterodox Economics Directory is still open for feedback and additional suggestions. So please, take a minute to check whether the descriptions of those institutions, journals and universities you are affiliated with are still up-to-date and adequately representing your work. In case you have suggestions for updates, corrections or additional content simply send us an email.

In this Newsletter you will also find a note on a recently published book by Anwar Shaikh titled Capitalism: Competition, Conflict, Crises. I have been looking forward to this book as I hoped that Anwar's opus magnum might fill some of the voids left by other recent publications on Capitalism in the 21st century. Curious as I am, I did some inquiries with reference to my high hopes and managed to acquire this informal praise by an early, eminent reviewer, which I would like to share with you:

"Thomas Piketty’s ‘Capitalism in the Twenty-First Century’ and Anwar Shaikh’s ‘Capitalism: Competition Conflict Crisis’, should, I believe, be regarded as complements. Piketty’s book is flawed mainly because, in order to communicate with the mainstream, his principal analytical structure is the neoclassical aggregate production function. Many commentators have pointed out that this cannot catch the principal characteristics of the real world long-term happenings he is trying to illuminate, nor necessarily produce inferences which match his empirical findings. But his painstaking gathering and careful clarification of data, and his humane policy recommendations, place him squarely amongst the good guys. Shaikh’s analytical structures are much deeper and more relevant for an understanding of the complex organisms that are ancient and modern capitalism. His empirical research is extremely thorough and analytically sophisticated. I wrote in my endorsement of the book ‘In an extraordinary blend of original theory and careful empirical work, we have possibly the most comprehensive structure since Marx’s “Capital”, within which to understand and analyse the many inter-related processes that constitute modern advanced capitalism. [The book provides] a platform on which to erect appropriate policies to tackle the revealed malfunctionings and undesirable social outcomes’."

Geoffrey Harcourt, Professur emeritus Cambridge and Adelaide

Having said that, it is nearly superfluous to add that I have already ordered my copy of this ambitious tome ;-)

Best,

Jakob

© public domain

Table of contents