John,

          Melanie Long seems to have only found Colander’s text under unorthodox.  I admit I don’t teach mainstream intro courses, but if I did I’d probably choose Goodwin, et al.  http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/publications/textbooks/microeconomics.html  this is probably way to radical for someone who thinks that individuals exist in a vacuum and everyone (90%) agrees (generally or with provisos) with Mankiw, but its not likely to be as difficult a sell as the Bucknell solution (see Geoff and his colleagues’ books http://www.bucknell.edu/academics/majors-and-minors/economics/faculty-and-staff/geoffrey-schneider.html ).

“This innovative, principles-level text takes a broad "contextual" approach to economics—including serious consideration of ecological, feminist, and social concerns—while still including coverage of the standard microeconomic concepts and models. This book goes beyond a discussion markets and efficiency to address the question of human well-being. It includes such critical concerns as ecological sustainability, distributional equality, the quality of employment, and the adequacy of living standards. It is the companion textbook to Macroeconomics in Context.”

       Barbara

Barbara Hopkins, Ph.D.
Economics Dept.
Wright State University