It's certainly compatible with acrylic paints.

You might try googling 'pumice for pastels' for other products.  There is a gel that is used for watercolor repairs that could be mixed with a grit of some sort. Believe you could find pulverized granite somewhere.  Golden also makes a color called 'micaceous iron oxide' that dries with a fine gritty texture.

I'd check Jerry's to see if they still sell the sandpaper type pastel paper, which used to come in various stages of grit......including one that required large quantities of pastel sticks.

Best,
bab