Mike,

I strongly agree with Lu on this -- you are at a land grant university
with an extension program employing professionals to deal with the
public.  Let the professionals deal with this.  These wackos are not
going to enjoy what they will see as your condescension, cute jabs, and
dismissive remarks, as much as we in the in-group do.  In their minds
they are fully engaged as dedicated parents defending their offspring
from death and disfigurement, and you are being inappropriate.  They
will be neither amused nor educated.  Plus, your treatment of allergic
response could be a problem, past lack of allergic response is not a
predictor of future reactions.  All you need is one problem to bring a
crazy lawyer down on your head.  Since there are professionals already
at Clemson paid to do this stuff, not passing inquiries to them means
something (pick any unfinished curatorial task, there are always
unfinished curatorial tasks) that you really need to get done is being
neglected while extension work is being duplicated unnecessarily.

Mike

On 4/24/2016 4:08 AM, Musetti, Luciana wrote:
> [...]
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> **
>
> *----*
>
> **
>
> *Scared of getting stung by a bee or wasp? *
>
> Visit the links below for information and advice. The following is not
> meant to be taken as medical advice.
>
> *Background Information: *
>
> Only female insects can sting. Stinging is expensive and dangerous for
> the insect (they only have so much venom, and don't want to get close
> to you), she doesn't "want" to sting you. Insects only sting when they
> feel threatened. If you get stung you may have accidentally gotten too
> close to a nest or accidentally brushed against her.
>
> *Are you "Allergic"?*
>
> A lot of people say they are "Allergic" to bee and wasp stings. What
> kind of reaction do you have?
>
> *Systemic, Allergic, Life Threatening*: About 2 out of 1000 people are
> allergic (hypersensitive) to bee/wasp/scorpion stings
> (http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11067&page=1 ,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis). For these people a bee
> sting can be life threatening. A severe reaction includes vomiting,
> shortness of breath/inability to breath, stomach cramps,
> unconsciousness, etc. Allergic people may have a major reaction to
> pretty much ANY sting, whether from a giant scary wasp, a boring
> little ant, or a helpful honey bee.
>
> *Local Reactions:* For most of us the sting hurts, we experience local
> swelling (e.g., a few inches around the sting, half an arm, etc.),
> redness, etc. Generally the swelling subsides in a few minutes to
> hours and the pain goes away. Amazingly, the average person (adult or
> child) could tolerate more than 100 bee stings and not die (but it
> wouldn't be fun, either!).
>
> Fun fact: There is an entomologist who created a sting pain index by
> letting things sting him and then rating the pain
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_sting_pain_index). He just
> wrote a book, The Sting of the Wild (http://amzn.com/1421419289).
>
> In my experience getting stung is 1) a rare event, 2) not fun, 3) but
> not the end of the world, 4) helps place minor aches and pains in
> perspective, and 5) results in an important increase in awareness of
> one's surroundings.
>
> *Good sites to get more information about insect stings: *
>
> https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/biol_hazards/bees_wasps.html
>
> http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/insects/
>
> http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11067
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_sting
>

> --
> Michael L. Ferro
> Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC)
> Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
> MAIL: 277 Poole Agricultural Center
> OFFICE: 307 Long Hall
> Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0310
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (preferred)

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50