Mike,

I strongly agree with Lu on this -- you are at a land grant university with an extension program employing professionals to deal with the public.  Let the professionals deal with this.  These wackos are not going to enjoy what they will see as your condescension, cute jabs, and dismissive remarks, as much as we in the in-group do.  In their minds they are fully engaged as dedicated parents defending their offspring from death and disfigurement, and you are being inappropriate.  They will be neither amused nor educated.  Plus, your treatment of allergic response could be a problem, past lack of allergic response is not a predictor of future reactions.  All you need is one problem to bring a crazy lawyer down on your head.  Since there are professionals already at Clemson paid to do this stuff, not passing inquiries to them means something (pick any unfinished curatorial task, there are always unfinished curatorial tasks) that you really need to get done is being neglected while extension work is being duplicated unnecessarily.

Mike