I'm not sure who might need this information, but it seems relevant to the
discussion.  If you want to know more, feel free to contact me off the list.

The Smithsonian aphid primary type slide collection, which is currently
located at the USDA Beltsville agriculture research center, is kept in a
fire-proof gun safe on the ground floor.  The safe is rated for 60 minutes
up to 1750°F, which should be enough for all but the most extreme fires.  A
commercially available slide cabinet was retrofitted into the safe to store
the slides, but I imagine some type of drawer system could be rigged up for
unit trays and pinned material.  The door is kept closed and bolted, but
the lock isn't set as it's obnoxious to enter the combination every time
you need to access material.  Fire-proof gun safes aren't cheap (hundreds
to thousands of dollars, depending on the size and how long it is rated to
survive a fire), but are a potential solution when you want to protect
specific material, such as types.

--
Michael Skvarla
Department of Entomology, University of Maryland