Good answer, Lynn.

Don't do it.

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Lynn Kimsey [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Delhi museum catastrophe

Dimitri,

The insurance issue is tricky and probably depends to a large extent on what kind of organization you belong to.

For specimens housed in our collections we'd have to have an independent appraisal. The same would apply to books, historical objects, art, etc. These would require a different appraiser.

For those collections nested in larger institutions like universities it gets even more complicated. I'm not sure we would be allowed to independently insure our collection. It would be worth finding out what your institution's insurance actually covers.

Then there's the question of what you would want the insurance to cover. Replacing facilities, equipment, furniture, storage units and such is one issue, but replacing specimens and related materials is problematic at best.

Both the appraisal(s) and the insurance might cost more than most of us have in disposable cash. Thus, you have to be very clear about what you want from the insurance if something catastrophic happens and you need to know what your institutional insurance currently covers.

Lynn