John,

actually, the problem might not be overconsumption, but stress. Obesity seems to be a natural reaction of the body to cope with stress. Overdoses of stress hormones (especially glucocorticoids) lead to shorter life-span. Body fat is not "deadweight", it is quite active and one of its activities is counteracting the effects of long-term stress hormone overdoses. The negative "side effects" are increased cardiovascular diseases, but the increase in mortality from this is lower than from the stress hormone. Evolution has probably been more effective than we thought. Eating is a kind of self-medication. Cardiologists have long wondered, why people with moderate overweight actually live longer. My wife (who is a cardiologist) is now consulting her patients that diets do not make sense unless they reduce the stress. Once you reduce the stress, also the obesity problem seems to reduce (without a diet). If "bad foods" are to blame is empirically at least not so clear-cut as often stated.

An overview article (somewhat technical) you can find from Dallman, Pecoraro & la Fleur (2005) Chronic stress and comfort foods: Self-medication and abdominal obesity. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 19: 275-280, downloadable at http://chc.ucsf.edu/pdf/2005_article_Dallman_BBI.pdf

So the interesting question is, if economists are equipped for dealing with stress-reduction instead of the consumption questions closer to the classical conceptual set of economics as a science. That is of course more of a behavioural/ psychological and less of a material problem, at least up to a certain degree.

Best

Hayo