I was privileged to watch from in front, and my heart was full to see your happy day from that vantage.

Mathurin

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Soren atte Raven <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

***hugs***

(...What Eo said...)

~Søren

On May 31, 2016 12:24 PM, "Eowyth þa Siðend" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
***love***

Eowyth

(Further words are just not available)

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Qadiya Catalina de Arazuri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am not even sure where to begin with all of the thank yous. So I will tell you the story of my weekend.

Friday morning I woke up entirely nauseous, I made it into work and sat here with my head on my knees just waiting to get out. I finally gave in and went home at noon so that I could nap for a few before it was time to hit the road. There was no way I was going to allow myself to be sick this weekend. No Way. I took a 3 hour nap, got up and started to get the last few items together to pack up into the truck as soon as the man got home. I could barely even manage that the nausea was making me dizzy with every move. As soon as the man made it home I tried to get up and start taking stuff to the truck, my body was not having it, so my wonderful daughter and man packed up the last of all the things for me. We hit the road. By the time we made it to Sedalia I was starving. So we ate and all of a sudden I was feeling immensely better. Thank God!

We arrived on site with just enough time to get the roof of our tent up before the rain hit. Then we hung out with friends under the Tor pavilion, which became our living room for the weekend. Every time the rain would let up for a minute or two we would run out and try to set up some more of our stuff. Then back under the Tor pavilion we went. Finally around midnight or 1 am, I’m really not sure, the rain let up and my man got the bed put together and I promptly climbed into it. He went out to the vigil, I was too exhausted from not feeling well to do much of anything.
Saturday morning we woke up and I got everything straightened out in the tent so that it would be ready to be the Vigil tent that evening. I showered and met with Simonetta who braided my hair and hennaed my hands. Then I waited, I went to court and waited. I watched Gaebbie, Hrefna, Aly and Cincinatta prepare all the delicious Vigil food and I waited. It probably wasn’t very long at all, but it felt like forever!

Their Majesties and Highnesses arrived and His Majesty asked if I was ready, and I responded “Yes! Let’s get this show on the road!” I think I was just anxious to get everything going .
We walked into the vigil chamber, which was just absolutely perfect. The Peerage banners hung on all the walls, the oil lamps were full and ready to be lit, and all the vigil pieces were assembled and ready to be spoken on. The peers filed in, the faces of the people who have always inspired me to do everything that makes me happy, they were there to witness this moment, to share this moment with me. Peers who I have admired since I first joined this group of wonderful people traveled from near and far to share with me their words of wisdom and praise. People I have grown with, learned with, experienced life with, worked with and loved with. They were there to share this moment with me.
There were moments while I was sitting in my vigil chamber, I would look around at the pools of simmering light coming off of the mosque lamps, I would see the people milling about just outside, I could hear their laughter, and the sounds of their joy, I could hear the drums and recorder, I could see them dancing. I thought to myself “how could this be anymore perfect”. Then I heard Fernando Singing the Veil and it was made more perfect.

The night went by quickly and soon I was alone in my chamber pondering the words that were spoken to me. I felt entirely loved and cherished by so many people who I admire, love and cherish. I was removed from vigil and my wonderful man and I snuggled into a cozy bed of sheepskins and pillows.
Sunday I woke and spent the day under the Tor pavilion with my extended household and great friends. We ate leftover vigil food and talked the day away. Many of my friends put the finishing touches on their Andalusian garb that they had made to be a part of my ceremony. Then a few of us went out to the creek and cooled our feet in the water. Then it was time to shower and prepare for court.
I received a white Andalusian Qamisa embroidered with a Laurel wreath by my Apprentice sister Cecily. Over this I wore the gold Durra’ made from a replica silk called the Baghdadi fabric. I wrapped my head in a silk veil, and I donned the white Tabard and walked to the back of court where everyone who was a part of my ceremony was excitedly awaiting their part.
My Mistress Elianor was called in and everyone took their places to be ready for the procession. Alessandra begin to play Lamma Badda on her recorder, Dongal and Anton begin to drum the very complicated 10/8 drum beat and Giovanna begin to sing the Arabic song with beauty, precision and clarity beyond comparison. At this point Rahil, Cecilia and Gwendolyn begin to dance in my procession with such grace and splendor that can never be rivaled. The populace was captivated by their light steps, graceful turns and elegant poses. I stood tall and proud of my friends, there is no more perfect way to be led into court. It was everything I had ever imagined, everything I have ever dreamed of.

I settled myself in front of Their Majesties, my belt and tabard were removed and I heard what it is to be a Laurel. The people who spoke to me, the people who spoke for me, the Peers and friends who attested to my qualities in front of Their Royal Majesties, Their Royal Highnesses, Their Excellencies and the Populace. That all of you, who I look to for inspiration, who I look to and admire your accomplishments, that all of you could say such things of me, brought tears to my eyes. These were not tears of sadness; they are tears from the warmth, joy, love, admiration, excitement. I can only strive to live up to what you have said of me. I can only hope that I will always continue to be the person you believe me to be.
I was then presented with my coat. A beautiful red wool coat, lined and trimmed in blue Indian silk made by my Mistress Elianor. Adorned on the arms with Tiraz bands designed by Aidan, and embroidered with Monarch Butterflies and Andalusian inspired Laurel leaves by Gaebbie. This coat is everything I could have imagined and more. The warmth it will bring me will be impossible to compare to. The beauty of the design of the Tiraz bands are more of a blessing than any words could ever convey. The Tiraz (which means embroidery) is immaculate. The love that was put into the piece of art that was created is evident.

Next came the mark of my new station, I am now the owner of the most beautifully handcrafted artisan silver earrings I have ever seen. Earrings made for me by Master Grimwulf. His craftsmanship is a quality unchallenged. And my hands shook as I removed my other earrings and put these in my lobes. My ears have never been so beautifully adorned. With silver earrings made in the style of 12th century Andalusian earrings, with Laurel leaves and falcons. I don’t want to take them off. Ever. Seriously.

I lost my memory while giving my oath. I had a special oath memorized, and it failed me. Then I was presented to the Kingdom as a member of the Order of the Laurel. The populace erupted in cheers! I didn’t even know how to stand there when that happen but I did. Then I heard Rhodri begin to read my scroll. He wrote me a Muwashasha, he incorporated so much of my life and SCA career into that poem. His words brought tears to my households eyes. His words lifted my heart, and made me feel like I was soaring with the Falcons of our Kingdom.
I was directed to turn so that I would see the gorgeous scroll that was painted for me by Constantia. A painted scene in my image from in the style of the Hadith of Bayad wa Riyad. My favorite love story of 13th century al-Andalus. Written in arabesque with a reed pen, on goat skin parchment. Her delicate hand in the fine details of the work is astounding.
I walked out of court to find my handsome man waiting for me with a kiss. Than I received all the hugs of congratulations. What a wonderful day! How could it be any more perfect. We followed court by running out for Thai food, I got to eat Tiger cry beef with my friends. That made it more perfect.

We got back to site ready to climb into bed when we heard the graduation celebration and the songs coming from it. So we grabbed a few beverages and headed over to Eowyth’s to sing and celebrate. And the day was even more perfect than it was before.

Mistress Elianor, my mentor, my friend, my inspiration to be as authentic as possible; not only in my arts and sciences, but also in my life. I can’t even begin to thank you for all that you did to make this happen. I am forever in your debt.

~~~ Catalina