Good question, Kathryn. Like you, I have everything in folders by project.
Over the years, I've gotten better about labeling my reference folders with
appropriate key words so they're easily searchable. So far this has worked
fine for me, but I'd also be curious to hear from others. What would
FileMaker or Extensis Portfolio offer that I don't already have with my
current method? It seems to me like the hard part is taking the time to
sort and label files/folders, and I assume one would have to do that with
or without either of those applications.

---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario