I started to suggest that, Kathryn.  I organize all my photos using bridge,
keywords, and metadata.  And copy it into the catalogue in Lightroom as
well.  One can include any data in Bridge, so it will also handle text
files, etc.  To recall a file, in Bridge go to Edit, File.  You just have
to remember something about the keyword you used.....at times that gets
tricky so keep the key words specific :).