Good question, Kathryn. Like you, I have everything in folders by project. Over the years, I've gotten better about labeling my reference folders with appropriate key words so they're easily searchable. So far this has worked fine for me, but I'd also be curious to hear from others. What would FileMaker or Extensis Portfolio offer that I don't already have with my current method? It seems to me like the hard part is taking the time to sort and label files/folders, and I assume one would have to do that with or without either of those applications.

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario