Hi Emily,             I can't comment on the file organisation
Mac programs but I am having to spend a lot of my time at work adding
metadata, including key words to digital image files. We use an
expensive program, Fotoware but I wouldn't recommend that for a small
user.

I just wanted to say that as a general rule a photographer takes just
as long to enter data as to take the photo.

I was using Adobe Lightroom to add basic metadata when actually taking
the photo series but we have now moved to Phase One's Capture One, to
avoid using the subscription CC version of Lightroom and because of
much better processing speed, rendering and other features.

Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer http://regex.info/exif.cgi
allows you to view all the metadata in a jpeg. It’s astounding how
many fields and options there are and how much infomation usage rights
etc can be packed into a photo. Once it's in a master file all of it
goes into every small copy you make, even small web jpegs.

I always use templates for copyright and contact information and then
add the caption (description) and key words for each photo.
Templates are easy in Lightroom or Capture One but can also be done in
Photoshop.

I prepared a Word document to explain this. It has screen captures but
here's some of the text.

"In Photoshop, make a new small file, “File” + “New” or
“Ctrl + N”.Then click “File” + “File Info” to bring up the
metadata entry pane.
Some fields will change with each new photograph. So leave them blank.
Only enter data into fields which you will be entering the same data
into a substantial quantity of images, like the copyright status, url,
email contact etc. Generally I am entering such data on the first
three tabs, “Description” “IPTC” and (rarely) “IPTC
Extension”.
Once you are happy, click “Export” on the dropdown menu at the
bottom of the pane and save it as a named template in the Adobe XMP
Templates folder. To add the data to another file you use that same
“File Info” pane and click “Import”, choose one of the lower
options and then add further data pertaining to that image."

Hope this is of interest?
Cheers,
Geoff