Hi Kathryn:
I use Adobe Bridge frequently. For searching either image/project files, or photos. I use the metadata for another search method.
I use folders to organize by client/project. My animal and plant photographs are organized in species folders, with metadata for cross-referencing. My landscape/park photos are labeled with the site.

I have friends who use other professional photo organizational software, but I just rename some files for easy search. I found if I keep the original photograph code number with the renamed file, I can always search for the numerical code, and it will take me right to the original photos in the folder. I do have a tendency to duplicate photos.

Best,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President-Elect
(520) 803-0538