Hi Marni:
Depending on what your initial contract or Scope of Work states about revisions, I would think that a complete re-do of the illustrations should be the same price as the development of the original illustrations, regardless of the royalties up front.
If you had a stated price for the initial work, then royalties on top of that, that stated price would be the basis of negotiation. If the amount of up front royalties equals what the illustrations cost to develop, then perhaps that is breaking even.

It is one of the most irksome situations to have a client change everything after the artwork is finalized and then not want to pay for it, or can't pay for it due to budget caps. That situation is why we are encouraged to put a clause in our contracts to cover this issue. It happens, these late changes, more often that we hope. Having a change or rejection clause also helps the client to understand the consequences, and helps them keep on budget themselves. There are benefits both ways.

Very best,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President-Elect
(520) 803-0538