Hi Linda.

Thank you for your thoughts. Since these are entirely new illustrations, the publisher understands I should be compensated; I'm just not sure that adding to the advance makes sense, although I'm not sure what a reasonable alternative is.

I'm only being paid in royalties, so if they give me a slightly larger advance, it is no more payment (in the end) than if I had done only the original illustrations.

Irksome is right!



From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2016 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] question about advance on royalties

Hi Marni:
Depending on what your initial contract or Scope of Work states about revisions, I would think that a complete re-do of the illustrations should be the same price as the development of the original illustrations, regardless of the royalties up front.
If you had a stated price for the initial work, then royalties on top of that, that stated price would be the basis of negotiation. If the amount of up front royalties equals what the illustrations cost to develop, then perhaps that is breaking even.

It is one of the most irksome situations to have a client change everything after the artwork is finalized and then not want to pay for it, or can't pay for it due to budget caps. That situation is why we are encouraged to put a clause in our contracts to cover this issue. It happens, these late changes, more often that we hope. Having a change or rejection clause also helps the client to understand the consequences, and helps them keep on budget themselves. There are benefits both ways.

Very best,

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President-Elect
(520) 803-0538<>

On May 28, 2016, at 4:27 AM, Marni Fylling wrote:

Hi everyone.
I'm so envious, reading all the messages about the upcoming conference- you will have such a wonderful time. Enjoy!!

In the meantime, I'm almost at the end of a big (as in lots of time, not lots of money) freelance job that has been very frustrating at almost every turn. Very poor communication and feedback from the publisher throughout the months of this project. Now they have decided that two of the illustrations- which were executed according to their request and with their references, and then adjusted according to their request- do not illustrate what they would like to show. They have asked me to consider doing two new illustrations, and as compensation, increasing my advance on royalties by a couple hundred dollars.

I have never had quite this situation arise before- and have only done two royalty-based jobs, so I'm not sure what is standard here.
The amount of money received from royalties is the same, regardless of the advance (unless, I suppose, the book never generates that amount of royalties). So I don't really feel like a slightly larger advance does me much good. But maybe that's all one can expect from this kind of situation?

Thanks for what experience and advice you have to offer.
And happy Memorial Day weekend!

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at


Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at