Derek-

For major expeditions I kind of do the opposite. I pre-print field labels with the known geography, month, year, field number prefix (e.g., “GUAT1F15-“) and collector then I hand-write in the locality descriptor, specific date, specific field number and abbreviated ecological notes or method (e.g. “FIT” or “fungusy logs”) as I fill in the field notes (typically in the evenings over rum or beer or both). This way I have enough bare-bones data to reconstruct the full label data back at home if the field notebook gets lost. There usually aren’t (m)any discrepancies between the vial labels and the notebook as they are created at the same time by the same person shortly after collection.

I then go through a process of vetting and standardizing the field data in the notebook by creating a “clean” label file in Word as a template, often changing spellings, adjusting altitudes, combining or splitting samples (and field numbers) as necessary, noting the ex post facto corrections in the notes. Often the final specimen label is quite different than what’s in the notebook, so I typically print out a copy of all the labels for a particular expedition and include them in the original notebook, sometimes gluing individual labels next to the original field notes to which they correspond, thus avoiding possible confusion as to which label refers to which potentially heavily edited entry. As I do this I swap out the old field-generated labels with the new ones, tossing the old ones away. In this scenario I just don’t see the value in keeping the original labels.

I use a similar, if more informal, system for in-state collecting. The notebooks for the major expeditions are archived in our library, those with my weekend collecting notes are not.

Cheers,

Zack

Zachary H. Falin, Ph.D.

Collections Manager,