Annual Meeting of the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
Minneapolis, MN, Mar. 30-April 2, 2017
CFP deadline: Friday, September 9, 2016

A proposed North American British Music Studies Association (NABMSA) session at the annual conference of the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ASECS) will have as its focus Anglo-American musics during the long eighteenth century, specifically British Music in the Domestic Sphere.

We invite scholars from a wide variety of disciplines (musicology, historical ethnomusicology, history, literature, cultural studies, anthropology, economics, and folklore studies) to submit proposals that examine interrelationships between British and American music over this period. British music enjoyed a thriving existence during the eighteenth century, perhaps most prominently in arenas outside the public concert hall. Building on recent musicology and historical studies, we seek to fashion a panel that will examine how British music functioned in various aspects of the domestic sphere. Appropriate topics might include: British music in the home; music making for and with children; perspectives on British domestic identities (gender, race, nation, religion, and class); teaching and learning music in the home; correlations between domestic music-making in Britain and its colonies; public versus private performance; and relationships between amateur and professional musicians, among other subjects. In doing so, we will illuminate music’s important social and cultural roles during the Hanoverian era, particularly as a part of daily life rather than as a special event.

Three presenters will be selected through blind review of abstracts by a program committee consisting of scholars who specialize in Anglo-American music. We will entertain individual proposals as well as submissions of unified three-person panels. All presenters and participants are required to be members of ASECS at the time of the conference.

Please include your name, institutional affiliation (if applicable), contact information, audio-visual needs, and the title of your paper in the body of an email. Abstracts of no more than 250 words should include the title of the paper and no other identifying information. Please send abstracts as Microsoft Word document attachments to gibsonj -at- msudenver.edu by Friday, September 9, 2016.