I think it's a good idea to have both on-site (your own hard drive) *and*
cloud backup. Fireproof safes might be better than nothing, but as far as I
know they will only hold out in a fire for a limited period of time (half
hour?) so to me that doesn't sound like a good system on its own.
By the way, I think some cloud back up services (such as Crashplan) allow
you send them your files on a hard drive for the initial backup so it
doesn't take months of uploading.

---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration