Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.
I had actually found a place that would photograph my artwork with a system
that uses a camera, however I was not convinced that the outcome would be
as good as a scan, especially since much of the painting is white
background and there are some yellows next to it.
I had also found this place in Toronto, which is probably what I'll end up
using, that has an Uberscan system:
http://colourgenics.com/?category/Products-Services
In both cases, if I add up the cost of gas, parking in Toronto, and the fee
for the professional image capture, I might as well just buy another
scanner and do it myself in pieces -- hence my query to the List. The time
involved would probably be about the same as having it done professionally
(because of travel and wait time) -- AND I'd have a scanner to keep in case
I ever need to do it again. However, an affordable scanner without the
raised rim may be wishful thinking, so I'll be headed to Toronto.
(Mike, your patience must exceed mine, as I'm not even willing to try it on
my scanner with the raised edge! Britt, I'm not confident that I'd be able
to get a good result using my own camera; I really need an image that's as
good as a scan.)
Thanks again,

---
*Emily S. Damstra*