I've been there in May, and it's quite the place for two species of terns,
brown noddy and sooty.  In recent years there has been a tropicbird nesting
inside the fort, though I'm not certain it's still there, or there every
year.  Other than that it's almost devoid of bird life, except for the
occasional gull and pelican.  The island really is dry, so there's little
or no vegetation.  However, it's an interesting place to visit, and I can
only imagine the night skies.  The isolation might be worth the month spent
there, although living in Maine I can be as isolated as I wish :).

bab