I think it's a good idea to have both on-site (your own hard drive) and cloud backup. Fireproof safes might be better than nothing, but as far as I know they will only hold out in a fire for a limited period of time (half hour?) so to me that doesn't sound like a good system on its own.
By the way, I think some cloud back up services (such as Crashplan) allow you send them your files on a hard drive for the initial backup so it doesn't take months of uploading.

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario
www.emilydamstra.com
Twitter: @EmilyDamstra

Hi All!

Does anyone have any updates on new Cloud Storage Services?

Does Dropbox remain one of the top preferences?

With Fire Season upon us, I am motivated to purchase some serious space. I have a free Dropbox now. But there may be other good choices.

Very much appreciated,

Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC

Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President-Elect

This E-Mail is intended only for the addressee. Its use is limited to that intended by the author at the time and it is not to be distributed without the author's consent. Unless otherwise stated, the State of Queensland accepts no liability for the contents of this E-Mail except where subsequently confirmed in writing. The opinions expressed in this E-Mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the State of Queensland. This E-Mail is confidential and may be subject to a claim of legal privilege. If you have received this E-Mail in error, please notify the author and delete this message immediately.