Emily,

You might consider having the piece professionally photographed with a 4x5 negative. Then scan the negative or have it scanned - make sure the beg is cleaned of dust before it is scanned. I agree a direct scan would be optimal but I've yet to see a scanner without the raised lip (except for drum scanners but they require a flexible support).

From my iPhone.